The Ogun State Ministry of Health has reacted to the video, circulating on the social media about the evacuation of the corpse claimed to be a Covid-19 victim, dropped at Kuto, Abeokuta by a driver on Tuesday, May 5, 2020.
In a statement signed by the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Tomi Coker, the State’s public health officials, who carried out the evacuation were trained and appropriately kitted, in line with the infection prevention and control guidelines of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) on Covid-19.
Dr. Coker in the statement said, WHO and NCDC recommend the use of double hand gloves and N-95 face masks, as the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and these were strictly adhered to in this suspected case, disclosing that swab of the corpse and his companion, as seen in the video had been taken and since been sent to the laboratory to ascertain if the cause of death is Covid-19.
According to her, ‘’it should be noted that the dead body of a Covid-19 victim is not readily infectious since the corpse lungs were not functional at the time of this interaction’’, saying the companion has been isolated, until results become available in the next 24 hours.
She emphasised that the commonest route of transmission asides contamination through surfaces, ‘’is through droplets emanating from the breathe of a live suspect case, via sneezing, coughing or talking’’.
“We would like to reiterate that the Ogun State Healthcare workers are trained to work in accordance with global best practices and will never compromise the stipulated standard. It is worth mentioning that the safety and well being of the people of Ogun State is paramount to the Prince Dapo Abiodun-led administration”, Coker said.
Press Officer, Min. of Health